Thursday, September 30, 2010

Thankful Thursday!

Ah yes, from this day forward, all Thursdays shall be dedicated to giving thanks. Mostly because it's easier for me to sit down and make lists of things than to write about an actual topic or post pictures. I dream of writing such posts, but alas, I'm a busy girl these days. So without further adieu, may I present to you things for which I am thankful today...

1. Youth group kids. Seriously, I love them all. Every single one. Most of the time I wish I could be in ten places at once so I could get to know every one of them better, and hang out with them, and speak truth into their lives. But alas, I am only one person. God isn't going to use just me to impact their lives, and it's not up to just me to do so...thankfully. With or without me, God is working in their lives for good. But I am ever so thankful for the times when He does choose to use me!

2. I mentioned this last time...but my office plant, Francesca. Her sprouts are growing strong and healthy. She's flourishing! And even cooler, she surprised me with mushrooms over the weekend! I have no idea where on earth they came from, but it was a pleasant surprise for a Monday morning. I'm secretly hoping for more, as they've already withered and died. Is it weird that I get such thrills from watching a plant grow?

3. Beth Moore. I've been reading "So Long Insecurity" lately and it's been an amazing journey thus far. I already knew I was insecure in several areas, but I didn't quite realize the massive extent of them. Most of the time it's embarassing, the thing's that I'm insecure about, and even more so the way I act because of them, but God's used many situations lately to show me the areas that need to be taken care of, and with His help they shall be defeated once and for all!

4. Motion City Soundtrack. I don't know why, but I've been really into them lately. They just make me smile. :-)

5. Restored friendships. A friend and I recently had a bit of a squabble, but things are sorted out now and I'm ever so thankful for that. And I'm thankful that he (and most of my friends, really) is a forgiving person. And I'm thankful that God gives me the strength to forgive, because it's so hard to do when you've been hurt. I'm slowly but surely learning just to love people as they are, to encourage rather than try to "fix" them, and let me tell you, it's a lesson that's hard to learn, and it's been quite painful on the journey. Someday...someday I will finally get it.

6. My dad. We just had the most delightful conversation the other night. We talked for hours, and he really encouraged me and brought understanding into areas of my life that I was nearly on the verge of giving up on.

7. My guitar came!!!!! And she's even more beautiful than I imagined! Now I just need to name her...

8. "Easy A." I've already seen it twice. I wasn't so sure about it, but man is it witty. And even though it portrays Christians as complete nutjobs...it was still hilarious. I would highly recommend it...for an adult audience though, of course. One of my favorite lines: "I don't know what your generation's fascination is with documenting your every thought...but I can assure you, they're not all diamonds. 'Roman is having an o.k. day and bought a Coke Zero at the gas station. Raise the roof.' Who gives a rat's a**?" Funny how that's my favorite line...and I'm blogging about it.

9. Men. Sometimes I love 'em, sometimes I hate 'em. But I'm thankful for them nonetheless.

10. And last, but certainly not least: Children's books. Particularly Scaredy Squirrel, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, Walter the Farting Dog, ABC Kitty, The Butt Book, and The Secret Keeper. If you have children, then you should be reading these books to them. They're amazing. If you don't have children, then you should also be reading them. Because they're still awesome. :-D

And now, because no blog post of a spinster is complete without a picture of a cat...I give you lolcats.


No comments: